TimeVibe is a free, event-driven, community-edited, historical timeline. It provides an easy, intuitive way of visualizing our universe's history, from it's birth 13.8 billion years ago, to this day. It's also a way of socially sharing vibes with your friends and contributing to the picture our species has of history. And, it can also be seen as a news portal, with all vibes occuring today. Above all, it's an educational website.
So what's a vibe?
Simply put, a vibe is a minor or major disturbance along our history. A noticeable event that occured in the past as far back as 13.8 bn years ago (like the Planck epoch), still occurs (like the Icarus Project For Canberra Arts Community), or will occur as far into the future as 2200 A.D. (like NASA-ESA's James Webb Space Telescope – JWST).
Awesome, can I contribute?
Everyone can! As long as you don't post offensive material. Or ads. Or any other kind of spam. Then I'll ban you.
How do I create a vibe?
Drag this button to your bookmarks bar → Vibe It, then use it whenever you need to create a vibe from the website you're on at the time.
Are there any guidelines for creating a vibe?
Why, yes there are. Here's some general points:
- keep titles short and simple, avoid multiple sentences
- make the title about an action, with concise phrasing, like Caravaggio paints "Boy Peeling Fruit", avoid vague titles like "Gates about Apple".
- pick an image that best portraits the vibe – if there is none on the page, manually edit the image URL and provide a better one
- a vibe can also have an end point if it differs from the start point in time; setting it will increase that vibe's visibility for the selected time period
- an event can belong to a maximum of 6 timelines, choose them carefully – don't put an Astrophysics vibe in an Economics timeline. Unless, of course, it's really related to both.
My vibe doesn't belong in any timeline :(
Send your timeline suggestion to .
By default, TimeVibe requires no permissions besides what Facebook already offers by default. However, when creating a vibe, the following additional permissions are needed:
- Email address - needed to let you know over email if/when your vibe gets deleted or modified. We'd never send you unsolicited, spammy, useless email.
- Publishing on your behalf - needed only if you explicitely allow posting to Facebook by checking a checkbox in the vibe creation screen. You can also set the visibility of the posted stories, in the Facebook dialog. TimeVibe would never post without your consent. This permission is always revokable.
TimeVibe does NOT post your behalf and never will, unless you create a vibe and instruct the app to post on Facebook, like outlined above.
Who's behind this app?
I am, Costin Dragomir — Bucharest-based web developer, tech & science enthusiast, trekkie, salad hater, and now viber. Follow me on Facebook or Twitter!
Is this a final version?
No. I'm actively working on it, constantly fixing bugs and adding new features. Please take a minute to send constructive criticism or general feedback to .
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site. When registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to share your name or e-mail address via the Facebook authentication dialog. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)
- To improve our website (we continually strive to improve our website based on the information and feedback we receive from you)
- To send periodic emails (the email address you provide may be used to send you information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions)
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information (whether or not you completed the tutorial, for example, so we don't show it the next time you visit).
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.
Third party links
We include links to pages on other websites. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
This policy was last modified on June 2, 2013